Friday 29 July 2016

Caught Live & Exclusive interview: SALT ASHES (@SaltAshes) - Album launch show @_Birthdays 26th July 2016

SALT ASHES

CAUGHT LIVE & EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW



This week saw the album release show for SALT ASHES.

With the self titled debut set dropping earlier this month it was time to unveil it live. Those already familiar with the album knew to expect a high energy, dance heavy set but perhaps weren't entirely ready for what was to come. 

Following a support slot from the intriguing self styled purveyors of 'Livetronica' FOX HOTEL (certainly ones to watch) it was time for the main event.

Backed by her 3 piece band (Jonny Coote - Guitar, Cheryl Pinero - Bass, Jason Mallet - Drums/Keys) SALT ASHES naturally took to centre stage kicking off with the thumping 'If You Let Me Go' which set the standard of what was to come.



Most of the album's tracks were showcased, each one delivered perfectly and every one sounding like a hit in it's own right. 

The sound was perhaps a little more raw and rocky with the live band than some could have anticipated when compared to the clean production of the studio versions but this was by no means a bad thing. It brought even more energy to every song.



Highlights of the set included current single (and Billboard Dance Chart hit) 'Save It' and the "nearest thing to a ballad' 'Whatever You Want Me To Be'



After 11 songs the set was over but the room was electrified, not to mention VERY hot and sweaty, and the audience left on a high (or on the coach back to Brighton as many friends and family had travelled up that way!)




Before the show we caught up with the lady herself and posed a few questions of our own.
Here's what she had to say

Q: Hi Salt Ashes & WHY Salt Ashes? Where does the name come from?

Those two words were scratched on the side of a wooden boat on Brighton beach and I loved them; the words, the placement and what they meant to me at the time. I felt very connected to them… It reminds me of the sea, heartache, the earth, life and death.

Q: Tell us a little about your musical history and how you got started.

It took me a while to discover the style in which I’m writing in now.. I had to experiment quite a bit before I found myself in electronic/pop.. I was writing pop/rock music and feeling uncomfortable performing it so I took some time out and played around with logic and started using my voice differently. That was when I found the style I felt more comfortable in so I began working with my producer, Daniel Fridholm, and that when the magic happened.

Q: You're from Brighton which has always been a very eclectic place. Do you think that being brought up there had an influence on your sound?

I don’t think it’s had a direct influence on my sound necessarily but it is definitely an extremely inspiring place. Being surrounded my so many talented people keeps you motivated and inspired to keep creating more. I love being by the sea and people watching which Brighton is perfect for.

Q: How about musically? Who are the artists that have inspired & influenced you the most over the years?

Change, Giorgio Moroder, Daft Punk, Annie Lennox, Bjork, Jeff Buckley.. I could go on… 

Q: You’re signed to a New York record label. How did that come about?

 The first song I ever released was featured on Record Of The Day which the label discovered and seemingly loved. They contacted my management at the time and we then met in London a few months later. 

Q: You've done a lot of it without management though. It seems these days they run the music industry so how have you got away with it?

I definitely haven’t done this all without management, you’re right… I wouldn’t have gotten away with it! I had a great manager for the best part of 3 years before we parted ways. I’ve been self managing now for over a year which is tough but very rewarding.

Q: So your debut album has finally arrived and it’s fabulous. Tell us a little bit about the whole process of making it

The album was created over a long period of time in dribs and drabs which was actually less pressure than if we’d gone into a studio for 6 months. I’d usually write and roughly demo a track, then send it onto my producer to put his magic on it and we’d then work together from there to get it to the level we wanted. Maybe 3 weeks would pass and then we’d do another track. There was no budget at the time for making this album so that was the most cost effective way that we could do it really as well as both myself and the producer juggling other jobs.

Q: Do you have any favourite tracks?

 One of my favourite tracks is ‘Whatever You Want Me To Be’. I think the production is awesome and I love how the tension is built throughout the track.. It really takes you on a journey… Or at least it does to me.

Q: There are so many elements of other classic artists that I can hear echoes of on the album.  If you could choose a dream collaboration, who would it/they be?

Todd Terje. 

Q: It’s the eve of the album launch show as I write this. What can we expect from a live Salt Ashes performance?

 A hot and sweaty performance which will take you on a journey through all kinds of emotions. That’s what I hope to achieve anyway.

Q: Now that the album is out there, what can we expect next? More music and gigs planned? 

I’m hoping there will be more live shows and festivals next year as well as more music.. always! 


SALT ASHES album is out now via New York label Radikal Records through most major outlets

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Music: NIKITA KC (@Iamnikitakc)-It's Not Good Enough

NIKITA KC It's Not Good Enough ' It's Not Good Enough ' is the brand new single from London based singer songwr...